Will Smith is allegedly devising his big movie comeback, following his highly-publicised Oscars controversy in March were he slapped Chris Rock on-stage.
Having been slapped with a ban on attending The Academy Awards for ten years, the actor, 53, is reportedly taking matters into his own hands with a self-produced sequel to his 2007 film, I Am Legend, via his company Westbrook Media.
An insider told The Sun: ‘The script is being written mentioning his character and as yet Will remains attached to the project.
‘The concept is still to be signed off by Warner Brothers, but there has been no indication that Will is off the project.
‘Obviously he is the producer of the film and his production company is in charge while the development continues. And Will himself is undergoing therapy and taking time away from the limelight.’
The follow-up dystopian picture would see The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air star return to his role as Robert Neville, working to cure a zombie apocalypse in New York.
The Francis Lawrence-directed movie centred on the story of the scientist and last human survivor of a plague.
In the film, Will’s character seeks to reverse the effects of the virus by using his own immune blood.
Sources have claimed Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, who adapted Richard Matheson’s 1954 novel into the first film, will include Richard’s character in the script.
MailOnline has contacted Will and Akiva’s representatives, as well as Westbrook Media for comment.
It comes after Jada Pinkett Smith directly addressed husband Will slapping comedian Chris at the Oscars for the first time in depth, saying she hopes the two men have the ‘opportunity to heal’ and ‘reconcile’ after the shocking incident.
Speaking ahead of a Red Table Talk special on alopecia released Wednesday, Jada, 50, began by referencing the controversy when Will assaulted Chris, 57, after he made a joke about Jada’s bald head, which is the result of her suffering from the autoimmune disorder.
‘This is a really important Red Table Talk on alopecia. Considering what I’ve been through with my own health and what happened at the Oscars,’ the actress began.
‘Thousands have reached out to me with their stories. I’m using this moment to give our alopecia family an opportunity to talk about what it’s like to have this condition and to inform people about what alopecia actually is.
Addressing the infamous slap, Jada said: ‘Now about Oscar night, my deepest hope is that these two intelligent, capable men have an opportunity to heal, talk this out and reconcile.
She continued: ‘The state of the world today, we need them both. And we all actually need one another more than ever. Until then, Will and I are continuing to do what we have done for the last 28 years, and that’s keep figuring out this thing called life together. Thank you for listening.’
Following the incident, Will was seen partying the night away with his family at the Vanity Fair Oscars bash, dancing to his own song Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It as crowds cheered him on.
However, a few days later he apologized in an official statement saying his behavior was ‘unacceptable and inexcusable’ and left him ’embarrassed’.
‘Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive,’ he wrote.
‘My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.
‘I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.’
Chris has not responded to Will’s apology, but has referenced the slap multiple times since during his stand up performances.
Last month, Chris joked that he ‘got most of my hearing back’ after the slap, during a set at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
After a formal review of the incident in April, Will was banned from the Oscars for 10 years, but was allowed to keep his Best Actor award that he won for King Richard.
In a statement, the Academy blasted his ‘unacceptable’ and ‘harmful’ behavior that ‘overshadowed’ the entire evening.
‘During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.
‘The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.
‘We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.’
Source & Credit: thecareerbd.com