Man Ja’iled For 37 Years On Mu’rd’er Conv’iction Fre’ed After Wit’ness Admits She Li’ed

Have you ever been acc’used of something you didn’t do? Chances are you have, it happens to almost everyone. Maybe as a kid you were acc’used of breaking something you didn’t, or as an ad’ult you may have been acc’used of cheat’ing on a spouse when you didn’t. But for Walter Forbes, a witness li’ed in court, and that lie landed him in prison for a total of 37 years

As I write this, I’m 32 years old. Forbes spent my entire life, plus 5 years, behind ba’rs for something that he didn’t do. It is an astou’ndingly long time to be punis’hed for a cri’me you didn’t com’mit. But how did Forbes land in pr’ison for so long?

In 1982, Forbes was a student at Jackson Community College working toward the goal of starting a real estate development firm after he graduated from college. One night, he witne’ssed a bar fig’ht happening just outside of the bar and decided to intervene. One of the individuals involved in the bar fig’ht, Dennis Hall, took rev’enge on Forbes the following day by s’hoo’ting him four times.

Shortly after the sh’oo’ting, Hall d’ied after his apartment ca’ught on fi’re. Inve’stigators found that the fire was fue’led in part by accelerants, including a gasoline container. Hall’s fiancé and young daughter were fortunately both able to escape the flames.

In an interview with CNN, Forbes reflected on that event. He says that, at the time, he thought they might try to pin the arson on him.

“Some way they’re going to try to frame this on me,” Forbes told CNN. “That thought went through my mind.“

His sus’picion would come true three months later when Annice Kennebrew testified in court documents that she saw Forbes and two others carrying red gasoline containers near the building and pouring the gasoline out around it.

Things didn’t add up
Kennebrew’s testimony threw the entire case into question. Her account of what happened didn’t quite match up with what investi’gators found at the scene of the arson. Investigators found a blue gasoline container at the scene, not a red one.

Kennebrew also described gasoline being poured on the exterior of the apartment when invest’igators could only find evi’dence of accelerants on the inside of the apartment.

It would be nearly 4 decades before the reve’lation that this witness li’ed would come to light.

In court, evi’dence was submitted that the building’s owner, David Jones, may have been responsible for the fi’re. Jones reportedly had the building insu’red for well above the maximum resale of the property. The insurance eventually pa’id out $50,200 on the building, which at the time was worth $35,000.

Another wit’ness came forward to testify that an acquaintance had admitted to accepting $1,000 from Jones to start the fire.

But according to Imran Syed, Forbes’ current lawyer, the tip was deemed inadmissible in court. The sole permissible wit’ness lied in court.

Multiple arsons
It is not clear whether or not Jones set the fi’re at his Jackson property in 1982, but in 1990, Jones pleaded no contest in an arson insurance fra’ud scheme. Forbes reportedly saw a newspaper article about the 1990 arson case and detected a pattern.

In 2010, Forbes reached out to an organization called the Michigan Innocence Clinic which then began reviewing his case.

The Michigan Innocence Clinic is operated by lawyers and students at the University of Michigan. At the clinic, students investigate and litigate cases on behalf of pris’oners who have new evidence that may establish their innocence, according to their website. When Forbes approached them about his case, the students there were surprised that a m’ur’der conv’iction was handed down based on the testimony of only one witness.

“We knew there were two things we wanted: to speak to the witness and see what her story was. We also knew there had been an alternate sus’pect from the beginning in this case,” said Syed.

Their next step was to contact Kennebrew to follow up with her about what she saw. Initially, she refused, but in 2017, she invited Syed’s team to a friend’s home where she admitted that she lied about what she saw.

“She came clean,” Syed said. “She said that at the time of the fire she was 19, and there were two men in the community that took advantage of that.”

Kennewbrew was put under incredible pressure by two men who approached her and demanded that she implicate Forbes in the arson.

“They th’reaten’ed to k’il’l my children, parents, siblings, and me if I did not report to the p’olice and testify at trial that I saw Walter and the other two men set the fi’re,” Kennebrew said in a sworn 2017 affidavit.

“Everything I told poli’ce, and everything I testified to at trial relating to my witnessing the setting of the fir’e, was a fabrica’tion,” she said in the affidavit. “As far as I know, Walter had nothing to do with this cri’me.”

The men who press’ured her to provide false testimony have both di’ed. David Jones has also since pa’ssed away.

Kennebrew’s defense was that she was very young and afraid, but that her decision to recant her testimony was made because it was the right thing to do.

With the revelation that the sole witness li’ed in court, Forbes was finally cleared of any wr’ongdoing.

Finally free
After nearly 38 years in pri’son, Forbes was freed from pris’on on November 20, 2020. Before he was wrong’fully impris’oned, Forbes planned to start a real estate development firm. But after almost 4 decades in pri’son, his plans have changed.

Forbes hopes to continue working with pri’son reform groups, a mission that he became involved with while still in pri’son.

“Impris’oned nearly 40 years, a Michigan man is freed after a witness recanted her story.” Anna Sturla. CNN. Accessed December 28, 2020.
Michigan Innocence Clinic. University of Michigan. Accessed December 28, 2020.

Source & Credit:

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.